Skip to main content

Author Topic: A couple more questions

a
A couple more questions
OP: January 30, 2014, 10:53:56 AM
1.  how do I set up the user account page?  and how does the terms and conditions work?  There is an area where you can input the text but where does it show?  do I have to set up a page for that?  As I go along I'll probably find more questions :)

What the CMS is really missing is help files. You have the installation and configuration covered but not actually using the CMS.  I am going to be giving my clients a training session but first I need to train myself :)
  • IP logged

• Administrator
    • XT CMS
Re: A couple more questions
#1: January 30, 2014, 01:01:15 PM
how do I set up the user account page?

User account pages are generated automatically so you don't need to really set anything up but you might want to create links to the login/account pages...

www.mysite.com/?myaccount (if not logged in this will display the login page)
www.mysite.com/?login
www.mysite.com/?register

You can also put the special tag {account_menu} in your page templates that will automatically provide links to these.

and how does the terms and conditions work

You can edit your sites terms an conditions in the admin area and can link/view it at www.mysite.com/?terms  - The checkout process also provides a link to the terms page automatically with an agree to terms checkbox.

What the CMS is really missing is help files.
I know, I will try to get more help and explanations in there. The good thing is forum posts like this will help me identify the areas that need more explanation.
  • IP logged
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:05:47 PM by xtom »

a
#2: January 30, 2014, 05:58:25 PM
Thanks Tom.  As I go through the process of finishing with this site if I come across more questions I'll give a shout here.  One thought perhaps a list somewhere of all the tags that can be used for page content, shopping cart menu, contact form etc.  would be good as well as a list of all the auto generated pages like terms, user account, etc. and their urls.

• IP logged

• Administrator
    • XT CMS
#3: January 30, 2014, 08:18:25 PM
Sure, you're welcome. In the meantime if you haven't already have a look at cms/docs/readme_user_manual.html which lists most of the special tags you can use and it covers some other advanced stuff you can do too.
  • IP logged

a
#4: February 01, 2014, 02:11:07 AM
Great that's what I was needing :) 

One thing to add to your help,  when I uploaded the xara html files to my site theme folder it didn't occur to me that my theme would need the images from the default theme that scripts were calling on for things like the shopping cart icon, buy now buttons etc. ( it probably should have occurred to me but it didn't until these images didn't show up)  I uploaded a copy of the images folder from the default theme into my custom theme  and that fixed that.  But this could easily catch others. 

I might look at replacing some of these images with images that match the site colours etc.  I assume that as long as the images are replaced with images that have the exact same name it should work. 

When I go to Insert/Edit Image the thumbnails in the file browser aren't showing. 
  • IP logged
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:33:15 AM by angelize »

• Administrator
    • XT CMS
#5: February 01, 2014, 11:24:32 AM
Yes it's important to leave the default theme directory because if a custom theme doesn't have a needed file the cms will revert back to using the file in the default theme directory. Sometimes it's better to copy the default theme folder and rename it for your new custom theme, that way you have a copy of all the needed theme files that you can edit. I'll try to make this clearer in the guides.

I might look at replacing some of these images with images that match the site colours etc.  I assume that as long as the images are replaced with images that have the exact same name it should work.

Yes just make sure the file name is exactly the same. They are case sensitive.

When I go to Insert/Edit Image the thumbnails in the file browser aren't showing.

I'll have to look into this, I think it might be a php version issue like before.
  • IP logged
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:26:34 AM by xtom »

h
#6: February 09, 2014, 04:20:12 PM
hello xtom,

is the "user account" functionality limited in the trial version?
if not, i read your response above but it is really confusing to setup for me, a quick tutorial would be very much appreciated.
  • IP logged

• Administrator
    • XT CMS
#7: February 09, 2014, 08:33:27 PM
User accounts are fully functional in the trial version, you can add new user accounts manually in the admin area or you can provide visitors with the registration/login pages so they can register accounts themselves using their email address.

There is nothing to setup as such, once the cms is installed and running all you really need to do is direct your users to the appropriate urls on your site.
  • IP logged

h
#8: February 09, 2014, 09:03:13 PM
User accounts are fully functional in the trial version, you can add new user accounts manually in the admin area or you can provide visitors with the registration/login pages so they can register accounts themselves using their email address.

There is nothing to setup as such, once the cms is installed and running all you really need to do is direct your users to the appropriate urls on your site.

hello xtom,

forgive my ignorance, my knowledge in php = 0, i followed all of your video tutorials and everything worked correctly, i am still trying to figure out the ins and outs of this cms technology, regarding the user account yes it works manually, i could add groups and user..etc, but not on the pages i am testing, maybe i am doing something wrong, in Xara i added a rectangle and tagged it with {account_menu}, when i run the page on the server it shows "Welcome Guest Register | Login" clicking on register or login doesn't take me to the requested page (which i understand by now that it is generated automatically), the same page keeps showing up.

what i want to achieve with xt-cms is: i am developing a website for a client, he wants the "downloads" page on the website to be accessible by registered users only, i am sure this can be done with xt-cms, i want to make a demo using the trial version and show it to him in action, if he confirms it we will place an order to get a full version.

thank you
  • IP logged

• Administrator
    • XT CMS
#9: February 09, 2014, 10:38:52 PM
Hmm, it sounds like you are on the right track - if the "Welcome Guest Register | Login" is displaying then the actual login and register pages should work as well. I can't think off hand what the problem could be. Can you pm me a link to the page where you have the account menu showing.
  • IP logged

• Administrator
    • XT CMS
#10: February 09, 2014, 11:33:09 PM
I just though what it might be. Have you added a {page_content} tag to your page template? This tag needs to be present so it knows where to display the register/login forms etc.
  • IP logged

h
#11: February 10, 2014, 01:42:13 AM
I just though what it might be. Have you added a {page_content} tag to your page template? This tag needs to be present so it knows where to display the register/login forms etc.

great, did just that and it works nicely now, thank you xtom
  • IP logged