Skip to main content

Author Topic: Hosting company cannot host my domain - wrong license?

n
Hosting company cannot host my domain - wrong license?
OP: November 12, 2013, 07:32:32 PM
Hey there!

My current host (hostgator) can not host German .de domains. The only way to connect my hosting plan to a German domain is registering it at a company here in Germany and having the dns pointing to gator.

So when I bought an xt-cms license for www.balance-alpine.de but this name is not available for actual hosting, will I have severe problems of using the full version of the cms? And how to solve this problem?

Thanks!
  • IP logged

• Administrator
    • XT CMS
In a situation like that I would normally change nameservers on the domain so they point to the host your using. So the domain could be registered with a German company and the website hosted on hostgator. I can't foresee any problem, but bear in mind if there is a live site already on the domain once you update the nameservers the site will load/display from the new host and also consider if there are any existing email addresses running on the existing host you should probably set these up on the new host before changing the domains nameservers.

If you do need to register and use a different domain and want your license changed to the new domain just let me know.
  • IP logged
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:34:58 PM by xtom »

n
thank you!
I managed to set up a forwarding from the domain hoster to my site, so the cms can now be accessed via balance-alpine.de/cms/admin.
The original license was bought for this domain, however, it's still showing 'trial mode'? I've already downloaded the license file from my xt-cms account...
  • IP logged

• Administrator
    • XT CMS
I've created and uploaded your license file again from scratch. Please try downloading and using this new file.
  • IP logged

n
thanks for taking time!
I've just uploaded the new license, however, I ran into a 'fatal error' message :/ So I uploaded the old file again...

Link to the image: (jpg on dropbox as the attachment module gives me a 'can not access upload path' message): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iqx6zlzfvuf0cmj/rFVjQvfn2E
  • IP logged

• Administrator
    • XT CMS
Is the ftp details for your site same as before? I'll have to have a look and see what's going on.
  • IP logged

n
yes, still the same. thanks!
  • IP logged

• Administrator
    • XT CMS
OK it should be working now, I had to add the hostgator subdomain you're using to the licence. I think it's because of the domain forwarding - so technically the cms is still running on the hostgator subdomain and not the main domain as such.
  • IP logged

n
ok, working now!
However, the Blog-listing-function disappeared :O
  • IP logged
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:50:10 PM by n90media »

• Administrator
    • XT CMS
OK that's a bug, I've patched in a fix and they are displaying again now.
  • IP logged

n
I see, thanks!
As it seems, they are displaying but there is no option to edit the listing in the category section?
  • IP logged

• Administrator
    • XT CMS
This should be fixed as well now.
  • IP logged

n
great, thanks a lot!
  • IP logged